In last week’s post I mentioned that I totally dig the crop top trend, as long as they’re worn appropriately. Thanks to an email I received from a curious reader of mine, today’s post is all about how to wear one. Of course sometimes it’s fine to toss these tips out the window – like with hardcore activewear situations, outdoor concerts, etc. On the other hand, sometimes crop tops are out of the question, like when a strict dress code is in place. These suggestions apply to every day casual & date night situations. When I’m buying a crop top, I like material that’s soft, stretchy, and form fitting. My personal go-to brands for crop tops are American Apparel and Brandy Melville. So let’s get started!
- Do make sure that your bottoms are high waisted enough to reach your belly button. You will feel much more comfortable if you choose a skirt, pants, or shorts that cover your belly button and you’ll get away with the shorter crop tops.
- Don’t wear them with low riding pants. I couldn’t even bring myself to leave my room to model this. Even though I have it styled, something about this combo doesn’t look classy.
- Do remember to dress for your body type. Eyes will naturally be drawn to the spot where a crop top meets the bottoms (especially if they are different colors or you’re showing any skin), so they should meet at or around the slimmest part of your waistline. They work best for hourglass, slim, rectangle/boyish & pear shaped figures. For my readers that would like to draw attention away from their midsections, the drapey, flowy fitting crop tops are still a good option.
- Don’t confuse them with bra tops. More power to you ladies that are sporting the bra top trend in public. I’d say most rules go out the window for you!
- Do a couple tests before you walk out the door: Hang out for a while at home in your crop top outfit to see if anything is riding up or down. Reach your hands over your head and also touch your toes in front of a mirror. It’s possible that your shirt could come up this much when you’re out and about.
COUPON CODES for your first purchase at Tradesy, Poshmark, ThredUP, & Mercari!! Some only work when signing up for the first time in the phone apps.
- Join me on Poshmark – use code NEUOK to save $5 off your first purchase.
- Join me on ThredUP – use this link here to save $10 off your first purchase.
- Join me on Tradesy – use this link here to save $20 off your first $50 purchase.
- Join me on Mercari – use code TZQHMB to save $2 off your first purchase.
Love what I’m wearing? More details on these items in future posts! Some are available for purchase now:
- ASOS blush colored high waisted skirt US size 6, $20 here
- Crocs black pointed toe flats in size 7 (fits like a size 7.5-8), here
- Crocs platinum pointed to flats in size 9 (fits like a size 9.5-10), here
- Zara high rise tropical pants size XS, here
- American Apparel blush crop top tank, here
Before you go – stop & subscribe to this blog (blue button) & you’ll never miss out – updated weekly!