Most serious thrifters have faced the dilemma of buying a gorgeous clothing item at an amazing deal, only to realize that it doesn’t really match anything in their closet. This happens because runway color palettes change every year, and clothing designers change their colors according to what’s “in”. I sometimes find myself in this situation and today I’ll be sharing my tips on how to rock your new (to you) clothing without buying an entire ensemble. So let’s get started!
- Pick colors in the same family, which is what I’ve done. If the shading on the pineapple was just a little darker, it could easily be the color of my top.
- Match your shoes and purse. This creates an illusion of matching. I recommend owning a great neutral pair of summer shoes and a matching purse. Right now nude and blush colors are very on trend.
- Try to avoid clashing the same color. I know some of you do strive to be mismatched, as it’s trending, which brings me to my next point.
- Make a statement out of it. This can be done by pairing contrasting prints and/or colors. It can be a lot of fun to experiment with combining stripes and florals for example. For achieving an extreme mismatched color combo, try choosing colors that are opposites on the color wheel.
- Don’t overthink it and trust your gut. If it looks good to you, go for it! After all, style is about expressing who we are.
COUPON CODES for your first purchase at Tradesy, Poshmark, ThredUP, & Mercari!! Some only work when signing up for the first time in the phone apps.
- Join me on Poshmark – use code NEUOK to save $5 off your first purchase.
- Join me on ThredUP – use this link here to save $10 off your first purchase.
- Join me on Tradesy – use this link here to save $20 off your first $50 purchase.
- Join me on Mercari – use code TZQHMB to save $2 off your first purchase.
How I Styled it:
- American Apparel Pineapple skirt, available here
- American Apparel crop top, here
- Rebecca Minkoff bucket bag, here
- Zara heels, here
- Custom made sea glass & sterling silver necklace
Before you go – subscribe to this blog (blue button) & you’ll never miss out on my budget friendly runway-inspired picks & thrifting tips – updated weekly!